Monday, April 19, 2010

Tax Day Tea Party Talk

I was invited to speak at San Jose’s Tax Day Tea Party event last week, and since Justin linked to the short news clip about it, I thought I’d post my remarks. The take away of my argument is that economic freedom is the key to growth. Of course, a speech at a political rally is necessarily less precise than a scholarly article, but I draw heavily on evidence found in Andre Shleifer’s paper “The Age of Milton Friedman”, arguments in Peter Leeson’s piece “Two Cheers for Capitalism?”, and various other sources. It was an enjoyable experience talking to a larger group than I’m accustomed to (700-900 people according to one news source), and I hope that I was able to persuade some of them of the merits of economic liberty. The full speech is below the fold. Enjoy.

+/-


No comments: