Saturday, November 27, 2010

Why It Is Important to Have a Good Thesis Advisor

General Patraeus suggests you have a good advisor (Hat Tip: Chris Coyne):
A rabbit sits near a cave scribbling in his notebook.

“What are you doing?” asks a fox.

‘I’m writing my thesis, which contends that rabbits are fierce fighters and can easily kill a fox.’

“Do you have hard data to prove this?” asks the fox.

‘Step into my cave,’ says the rabbit.

Minutes later, the rabbit emerges with a fox fur hat.

The process is repeated with a wolf and a grizzly bear until a wise owl flies into the mystery cave and discovers the rabbit seated between a ferocious tiger’s paws.

Here’s the moral: “It doesn’t matter how stupid your thesis is as long as you have the right advisor,” Petraeus ends the anecdote to raucous audience laughter.
For more hilarity, see the ridiculous powerpoint presentation at the link.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to make a quick comment to say I’m glad I found your blog. Thanks

Brenda Murphey said...

This gave me a good laugh while I was procrastinating/looking for good thesis ideas online. I showed this to my thesis adviser too and we had a good laugh. But we were having the debate on who the real rabbit is (she has this obsession over rabbits for some reason).