Wednesday, April 26, 2006

File this under: Well thought out government programs

To what lengths would you go to secure a free gallon of gas? Thanks to (gasp!) an unintended consequence of the public sector, some drivers in California simply strand themselves and wait for a free gallon to be provided by John Q. Taxpayer.

My daily drive to and from campus here in Morgantown requires less than a gallon of gas daily-- I wish we had a program like this. On the margin, it probably wouldn't cost me that much more in taxes, I'd get my gas paid for so long as I didn't venture far from home, and the legislation wouldn't push West Virginia any lower on the economic freedom lists since, well, we're already at the bottom.

We have a lot of foolish laws here in West Virginia. I think it's time that some of them benefit me.

No comments: