Saturday, November 08, 2008

Signs I Might Be Evil

Today, the telephone rings, it's a telemarketer (TM):
TM: Hi, this is X and I'm calling you on behalf of MADD, Mother's Against Drunk Driving, how are you today?

Me: Fine, but...

TM: Don't worry, I'm not calling to ask you for donations, but instead...

Me: Actually what I was going to say was that I do not support MADD because of their policy positions.

TM: This has never happened before, I have no rebuttal, or even an idea as to what to say. Have a good evening I guess.

Me: You too, have a good one.
I'll never forget that final volley from him. In my defense, I was thinking of their opposition to lowering the drinking age from 21 to 18. I do suspect that ceteris paribus it would increase drunk driving (what with demand curves being downward sloping and all), but I would be in favor of increasing the penalties significantly to help offset that.

No comments: