It's time for this year's Super Bowl prop-a-thon! TPS stalwart Rob Holub sends along this year's props. Here's last year's post and here's the year before. Rob issued me a sound beating last year, so I need a better performance. Feel free to add in your choices and see how you do!
For the uninitiated, props are bets on certain outcomes within the game. Extremely popular games-- like national championships in college sports and title games/series in professional sport-- tend to have some listing of prop bets, though in the vast majority of games you can usually wager only on the winner and an over/under for total points scored. As always, bets are for recreational purposes only.
One final thing-- to avoid the four-corners effect, it makes a little more sense to pick props that are priced at roughly 50% (or below, if you so choose). You don't quite get the same effect from taking the "no" on the two point conversation (paying a meager -600) as you do from taking the over/under jersey number bet (generally priced at the even -115/-115 spread, and an annual Holub lead-pipe lock).
Onwards! Here are my picks:
- Will the game be tied after 0-0? Yes. (+100)
- Total Number of Different Players to Have a Pass Attempt: 2.5 (2-pt conversions do not count). Over. (+240)
- Saints: Will they convert a 4th down attempt? Yes. (+125)
- Robert Meachem, Total Receiving Yards on 1st reception: 10.5. Over. (-115)
- Peyton Manning, Will Have More Passing Yards in Which Half? Second. (-105)
You got nothing on those, Holub! I also like how four of my five prop bets could conceivably be satisfied on one play.
Again, feel free to play along in the comments.