Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Assorted thoughts on links

- The Dead Sea Scrolls will be digital here in the very near future; it's a good thing, but don't overestimate the impact. Only a handful of individuals can really benefit from these original pictures, and chances are they probably have decent access to begin with. Whether the benefits to society are great due to these few people having greater access...that's the question.

- The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is showing cracks; the debate is what to do about it. One side says continually fix it, one side says replace it. I'm not sure that I buy the argument that a deteriorating facade diminishes the message of the tomb; I say fix until failure, then replace with something that lasts longer.

- Pizza makers in Naples are protesting high pizza prices from competitors by giving away free pizzas, hoping that stricter price controls on pizza are the result. Not one part of that makes any sense to me or my cynical side.

No comments: