Friday, August 08, 2008

The Fastest Way To Multiple Degrees

The student has literally become the teacher. From CHE:

An instructor who was fired for enrolling in his own classes at Bishop State Community College, in Mobile, Ala., should be reinstated and given back pay, an arbitrator has ruled, according to a report in the Press Register, a local newspaper.

Henry Douglas, an instructor in Bishop State’s culinary department, was terminated by the college when a state audit revealed that he had enrolled in 10 courses that he himself was teaching, and was listed as taking six other courses at times when he was scheduled to teach. The Press Register reported in 2007 that he received six A grades and one B in seven courses.

I have joked to my students on the review days before an exam that "the test is so hard I only got a B when I took it, and I wrote the thing!" However, it seems this may actually be the case for some teachers.

1 comment:

KipEsquire said...

"I have joked to my students on the review days before an exam that "the test is so hard I only got a B when I took it, and I wrote the thing!"

I heard similar things more than once in law school: "I realize now that even I couldn't have written a satisfactory answer in the time alloted..." etc. =)