Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Good Friday Night for this Economist

Took the children to Barnes and Nobles, where I enjoyed a Starbucks Mocha Frappachino while watching them play with Thomas the Train toys. A fellow father struck up a stimulating conversation with me about the social consequences of Walmart (initiated by him, upon my revealing that I was an economist during conversation).

What did bystanders probably see? Me, arguing (civilly, but unsympathetically) with the local disability equipment store owner, who also had a prosthetic leg.

His chief point of contention was the "unfairness" of Walmart (and other big box stores) selling walkers and wheelchairs profitably at a price lower than he could even obtain at wholesale, to which I argued was beneficial to the many senior citizens living on fixed incomes.

This was a good way to spend a Friday night.

No comments: