Saturday, July 26, 2008

Man Faces Jail Time for Shooting Lawn Mower

From CNN:
A 56-year-old Milwaukee man is accused of shooting his lawn mower because it wouldn't start.
...
He told police: "I can do that, it's my lawn mower and my yard so I can shoot it if I want."
...
Walendowski could face up to an $11,000 fine and six years and three months in prison if convicted.
Really? Six years in prison and an $11,000 fine? Plus, I find it hard to argue against his logic. I guess it depends on how potentially dangerous he was to the public, but I personally have wanted to execute a few malfunctioning devices as of late. Fortunately I don't own a gun.

2 comments:

Thomas said...

You missed a paragraph:
Keith Walendowski has been charged with felony possession of a short-barreled shotgun or rifle and misdemeanor disorderly conduct while armed.

It has only a little to do with the misdemeanor charge of him shooting his lawn mower, and much more to do with the felony charge of possessing and firing a weapon that appears to be illegal.

This is a right-to-bear-arms debate, with the complexities of whether you should be allowed to own concealable guns, not really a private-property debate.

JM said...

I find imprisonment penalties disproportionate to the felony charge - 6 years of a man's life?!

The judges and prosecutors are clearly power tripping on "non-conformists". I can understand a financial penalty of $ 500 - $ 1k, but 6 years AND an $ 11k fine is ridiculous. It's time our power-grabbing senators and congressmen/women start using common sense and enact changes to the criminal code.