Thursday, July 03, 2008

Name fun

There are a number of sites around that show statistics on names; Freakonomics recently linked to this one. I always get a kick out of all the different ways they can aggregate the info. I'm sure there's a paper in here somewhere.

What I also found interesting was that on the pages for individual names, they offer well-known people with the same name. For mine-- I went with Matthew, I'll allow it for now-- the "well-known namesakes" are: Matthew (the apostle), Matthew Broderick, Matthew McConaughey, and Matthew Thornton (signed the Declaration of Independence). I'll give an OK on the apostle, and even the signer of the Declaration of Independence (though that name didn't ring a bell when I read it, I'd question it being 'well-known'), but I felt disappointed by the other two. Haven't we, as a collective Matt(hew), done better than that? Personally, if we're going with actors, I'd stick Matt Damon above both of them, but is that the peak of our achievements? Maybe so...I can't think of a better replacement, though I'll keep it in the back of my mind for the afternoon.

3 comments:

rolub said...

Personally, the first one that came to mind was Matt Ryan.



Former Heisman candidate and 2008 first round draftpick of the Atlanta Falcons.

Unknown said...

Rob beats me to the punch on a random econ blog. No wonder he's the chosen one.

What about Matthew Perry?

Still better than the most famous Bryce.

Bryce Drew?
Bryce Paup?
Bryce Canyon?

Matt E. Ryan said...

Gotta go with Bryce Canyon there. Though I get to see Bryce Drew's moment of fame for three weeks every March.