Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Questions I've been pondering recently...school edition


I frequently drive by an elementary school here in Morgantown, as I live just down the road from one. Which got me to thinking...

If school were not compulsory at any grade level, what percentage of kids at any age would end up going?

If this were to actually happen, I think you'd see a very high rate initially, but would steadily drop off. I think elementary education would be something most would choose, though not necessarily at as young of an age. I think you'd see some decent reductions in attendance rates as the years go on as well. Once kids can watch themselves I think you'd see a drop; if you have to pay someone to watch them, why not have them in school? So, as a jumping off point: Elementary school and middle school: 90%, and high school: 60%.

Thoughts?

No comments: