Monday, January 26, 2009

Sentences I found humorous...

From CNN's bit on Tokyo's companies encouraging their employees to have more kids:

In addition, Japan's population is aging at a faster pace than any other country in the world.

Yes, they're (likely) talking about the average age for the population as a whole, and that's a function of the fact that, as the article pointed out, no one's having kids. Still, I got a kick out of the fact that the line could be construed as to say that one year in America is worth 2 or 3 in Japan. If it said "aging faster," I don't think it'd have been as funny-- something about "faster pace," like years go by faster in the Orient.

3 comments:

danarch said...

Actually, Matt - time really does move faster in Japan. I will come back in a couple of years and probably have aged at least six years. =)

Matt E. Ryan said...

According to relativity theory, that means I'M moving really fast. Ha! Maybe I'll have 600 solo-authored publications and a libraries full of books by then. :)

Justin M Ross said...

Better then to do tenure work in the U.S. than in Japan ;)